Thursday, September 6, 2012

Closet Love


I am convinced that to really get control of your closet doesn't start with a clever organizer, or a method, it starts from within.   When you can really look at yourself at be okay with your body, your limitations, your assets, your style - then you can really know what you need in your closet.  There's a whole lot more I could say on this subject - but I'll save that for another time.

We have a basic middle class suburbs style 70's home with reach in closets - the kind that spans a wall with 1 rod, 1 shelf going the length and bi-fold doors. A new closet construction would require a bit of work and money so we make do, and I think I have made do very well.  My husband and I share our bedroom closet, I get 3/5, he gets 2/5.  Here is a breakdown of what we fit in there:


  • Closet rod with his shirts, my shirts, pants, dresses, seasonal wear, dress scarves
  • Organizer drawers for necessaries, night clothes, occasional wear like swim suits
  • Cube storage on middle top shelf to divide and keep organized - our pants, sweats, etc.
  • Extra blankets and pillows on the shelf in the back
My shoes hang in a cloth organizer on the back of our closet door.  Everything we need to wear, with the exception of some outdoor wear, fits easily for both of us in our reach in closet.  

I used to wish for a large walk in closet with special organized places, but I have made peace with my reach in closet.  If I had more room, I would want more stuff.  This forces me to pare down my things to what I really wear and love.  I've learned that limitations increase creativity.

Yesterday I decided to go further in my closet limitations and have limited myself to:
  • 10 tops for work and going out (current season) - 2 weeks worth
  • 5 tops and 5 bottoms each for working out (if I ever use them all up before washing clothes, it will be a miracle)
  • 10 pairs of pants or jeans
I have the winter season's clothing to go through yet, and my skirts and dresses.  But I will be paring them down as the season winds down.  This morning, my system already started to work.  I had 6 shirts in my "workout tops" section so I got rid of one, into my open box for charity.   

The closet is a work in progress still, but as I limit myself to what I really need, what I love best will be what I am left with.






No comments:

Post a Comment